Saturday, February 7, 2009

First Heart Break at age 5

After Friday I realized 1. I don't want my kids to grow up and be teenagers and 2. there are going to be a lot of hearts broken between now and when they grow up (not that it stops then). Here's a play by play summary of what happened after school on Friday:

Me: Beckham, how was your day?
B: Not good. I had a rough day.
Me: why what happened? (wondering what could happen to a 5 year old to make him say he had a rough day)
B: I'm sad because I asked Meredeth to be my girlfriend and she said no.
Me: That's too bad. maybe she's not ready for a boyfriend.
B: I asked her nicely and said please. I even told her the reasons why I wanted her to be my girlfriend.
Me: (This peaked my interest I had to find out the reasons a 5 yr old wanted a girlfriend) Really? What were your reasons?
B: I told her that she is a nice and she is the most beautiful girl on the playground.
Me: Aw. That's sweet. I'm sorry she doesn't want to be your girlfriend.
B: That makes me sad.
Me: Well, girls sometimes disappoint you. The only person that won't is God. Should we have lunch?
B: Can we have chips?

I felt so bad for him he was truly heartbroken. Guess Monte and I are going to have our hands full when Beckham is older. Especially if he is already getting his heart broken. He's our sensitive one. Ainsley on the other hand will be the one breaking hearts.

3 comments:

Katie said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW..... I almost cried reading that!

What courage it took to tell that pretty little girl something like that! A lot of grown men need to take some advice from this little man! :) I love you, Beckham!

Anonymous said...

aw...so sad!!!! She doesn't know what she's missing! What a sweet boy! Can't wait to see you Beckham. We love you!

Anonymous said...

It was great seeing you at the wedding. Tender hearts do get bumps easy. However, his tenderness extended to answering his parents because he knows you love him "all the time". As you stay close, you help put blessing and trial in perspective for these young hearts. And as you pointed out Jesus, has his arms around him. Phil 1:6 love ya uk