Sunday, October 19, 2008

Silly Sayings

So I was putting Beckham to bed tonight and he asked - Mom how do I sleep tight? I guess a few nights I said, "Good night, sleep tight." Knowing Beckham he has probably been pondering this for a few days and couldn't figure out how to sleep tight so finally asked. I told him "It was an old saying and to be honest I didn't know where it started or what it means. It's just something people say at night. I probably about having a good night sleep." His reply - "If you don't know look it up on the computer." Smart kid. I guess after I post this blog I'll be doing a little research on what "Good night, Sleep tight" actually means. If you know feel free to post the answer in the comments section because knowing me I'll forget to post the answer and I am sure all of you faithful readers are dying to know the origin of the saying.

1 comment:

Megan Kuemmerlin said...

On our field trip to a plantation last week I learned that "Sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite!" was said because they had matresses made of hay in the summer and feathers in the winter. Bugs would crawl in the hay/feathers, so they had a stick they would literally beat their bed with to kill the bed bugs. Maybe they just added the sleep tight thing because it ryhmed. Who knows!