Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Dangers of Cake Pans



OK, so this story happened a long time ago (pre-Ainsley) but I was reminded of it and thought, I have to share it because it is so funny. As most of you know Beckham likes to explore objects and always comes up with different ways to use them. Well, one day I was talking to my neighbor on the phone and Beckham was playing with the pots and pans. I didn't think much of it until I looked down. He managed to put the angel food cake pan over his head. He looked like a dog that had one of those cone collars so they don't bite at a wound. I started to laugh until I realized it was stuck. The edges were dull but sharp enough that I couldn't use a lot of force to get it off. I tried everything (oil on his forehead, butter). I ran to my neighbors to see if she could hold his head while I pulled it off. Nope didn't budge. Now I was beginning to panic. How was I going to get it off. All I could think was, the fire department could use the jaws of life to get this thing off. My next thought was how am I going to get him there - he won't fit in the car seat with this thing around his head. My last thought was, can you imagine the look on the firefighters' faces when I pull up with a kid stuck in a cake pan. Luckily my neighbor had painters at her house and they had tin snips. They were able to cut through the metal and bend it off. I learned that no matter how harmless you think an object is kids can find a way to make it dangerous. We had to buy a new angel food cake pan and we store it out of reach from the kids.

2 comments:

Susan said...

love it. julie, keep blogging!

Kim said...

I think this is a terrific idea. I LOVED chekcing it out and it did make me laugh. Thanks for letting me see what the Watkins family is up to. I will definitely have to keep cheking in to seee what exciting things you guys have been up to. Thnaks again!
Kim