Monday, July 9, 2007

Bitter Sweet

Last week we went up to Virginia for one last trip to my parents' house. It is the house I remember most because they have lived there for 24+ years. There are a lot of fond memories in that house and it will be weird not staying there next time we go up. Two of my sisters and brother and sister in laws still live in the DC area so I am sure we will still make it up there but not as often. I am not sure it has fully hit me yet. It was weird to see the house so empty - my parents have been bringing stuff down to SC each trip. The Virginia house looked empty in comparison to what it used to look like. For those of you that have never seen my parents house it used to look like a Crackle Barrel. no joke - Basket hanging from the ceiling with dried flowers hanging out, not an inch of available space on the wall, etc. they close on their house next month and are hoping their lake house will be finished soon after.

I mentioned the trip was bitter sweet because trips to DC won't be the same but we are looking forward to my parents being in their new house. A 2 hour drive is a lot better than 7. Not to mention their new house is on the Lake with a beautiful view and a pool. I am sure the new house will have many fond memories as well.

I hope the new family enjoys it as much as my family did. It was a great house and a wonderful place to grow up. I'll post pictures of our trip when Megan forwards me some. I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July. We had a great time watching the fireworks one last time in DC. Beckham loved it and was a trooper. (Ainsley stayed with Grammy Keeks and Poppy because we thought it would be best for all of us if she didn't go.)

2 comments:

Katie said...

I know, it'll be so wierd/sad when they leave. But I agree, I'm sure we'll make some great memories at the new HOME! :) It was so fun to have you guys up here for the week! You guys are a great couple and awesome parents! Love you!

J. Sherrill said...

I remember feeling the same way when my parents left the DC area. That was the house I had known for so long! Having them here in the same town now (for 9 years now!) is wonderful! I know you'll enjoy your parents being so close! That close enough for day trips!