Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Best Friend

Meggo's comment in Praying for Rain made me think of another story worth blogging. This past weekend our church hosted AVBS (After Vacation Bible School). Each night all the participants got to put their name in a bucket for a prize. If you brought a friend you got to put your name in the bucket for each friend you brought, increasing your chance for winning. Beckham didn't win a prize the first night and was confused as to why he didn't win a prize. I tried to explain that not everyone wins - just 3 people out of everyone there won. He didn't understand and proceeded to ask what he did wrong and why he didn't get a prize. I explained further saying it's just luck and that only 3 people win. the more your name is in the bucket the better your chance is to win.

The second night we were on our way to AVBS and Beckham asked if he could bring his friend Charlie so he could put his name in the bucket twice. Problem was, Charlie is his stuffed animal dog. I told Beckham Charlie didn't count it had to be a real person. Beckham's response, "I can put my name in twice because I brought you and you're my best friend." My heart melted even though I knew he was just saying that so he could put his name in the bucket twice. I told him that in order to put your name in twice you had to bring a real person who is a friend your own age. I couldn't blame him for trying. I'm sure I would have tried the same tactics when I was younger if I had been that smart. (Beckham is a smart cookie who is always thinking outside the box).

Beckham never won a prize. As a mom it broke my heart every night to see his face disappointed when he didn't win. I felt even worse when he would ask what he did wrong. I wanted to go buy him a prize just to make him feel better. But I realized it's one of those life lessons you have to let your kid learn on their own - not everyone wins.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Awww, my hearts breaking that he didn't win... Don't those people know how cute he is?? He should get a prize just for that!