Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Not Marine Material

Many of you know I take a class at the gym taught by a woman that trains Marines. I have never seen a woman so fit. She is tough as nails. Some people see her at the gym and stare in amazement as she runs forward, backwards, and sideways on the treadmill which is going faster than I run and has a steep incline (Meggo got to see her do this). She has run a marathon pushing her kids in a stroller. I don't think I could run a marathon let a lone one pushing an extra 40+ lbs. Needless to say she is hard core which might be one reason I love her class. I always feel like I have accomplished something when I finish her class. I am always sore the next day but am glad I did it.

On to the story, Connie trains Marines and incorporates some of the training she uses with them into our class. Today she decided that we were going to do the whole class carrying a "gun". Since the Y doesn't have guns she found us all 9 lb body bars to carry. At first it wasn't bad as we ran, lunged, shuffled, and sprinted with the "gun" but after a 20 minutes it got tough and my arms started to ache. Half way through someone mentioned how hard it was and she said - this is easy you don't have on combat boots, 100 pound pack on, and we are inside in the air conditioning. I then realized I am not cut out to be a Marine. (Not that I ever wanted to be one). I tend to think I am in pretty good shape but each drill she gave us I barely finished. I couldn't imagine doing that in the heat, with all the equipment Marines wear. I did finish the class and I did complete all of the drills but I was wiped out. It made me appreciate all the training our military goes through. For all you military folks out there thank you for protecting us and all you do because after Connie's class I know I couldn't do what you all do.

2 comments:

60 toes said...

oo-rah!

Katie said...

oo-rah, Jules! I wish I could take that class! :)