Friday, August 31, 2007

Recipe of the week - shrimp tacos

A few days ago we had a friend over for dinner and we made shrimp tacos. They were really good. We got the idea from restaurant in Austin called Chuy's. Monte always got the shrimp tacos and they were so good. We tried to recreate their recipe from what we remembered. My favorite part about the tacos was the sauce we made (Mandie it wasn't the boom boom sauce - I wish I knew how to make that). Here's what we did:

1 lb of precooked and shelled shrimp put on skewers and baste with BBQ sauce (we used a sweet blueberry BBQ sauce we got from Doug and Judi) put on the grill just long enough to warm through. I guess you could use raw shrimp and keep them on the grill a little longer. Build your taco using tortillas, the shrimp, and any other topping you like on your taco. We made a yummy sauce to put on top. Again no recipe - I put sour cream, fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, and salt in the blender. I had to taste it a few times to get the quantities right. It was a nice refreshing taste on the tacos. I used left over sauce on my salads all week it made a great dressing. The best part is it was low fat because it didn't have any oil in it. If you like salads try making the sauce and using it for dressing.

I also made the typical corn and black bean salad/relish to go with it. I added mango to it which made it sweeter. I intended it to be a side dish but we ended up putting the relish on the tacos! Yumm!