Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The ants go marching one by one

The past few weeks have been hot and dry from the lack of rain. It has been in the 100s and one day it was the third hottest day in Charlotte history. Not just for that day but for all days. The hot dry weather has brought a ton of ants. This weekend we noticed a few ant hills in our yard. I also noticed a line of ants in our dining room and quickly took care of it- by smashing them!! Well, yesterday I woke up and went to the pantry to get breakfast and there were ants everywhere!!! When I say everywhere I mean everywhere. It was so gross. I threw a bunch of food out (due to the volume of ants on it even though it was sealed). I needed ant spray but I didn't have time to load the kids in the car and go get it because we were going to see a movie at 9:00. So, I furiously started killing ants. There were 1000s of them. I got the majority of the ones I could see and put a line of chili powder where they were coming in (it is supposed to deter them). I couldn't do anything more until after the movie. We stopped at target on the way home and thankfully got some ant spray. Once we had the spray the ants didn't have a chance. So the moral to the story - when it is hot and hasn't rained in a long time ants like to find their way into your house so make sure you are ready. And, don't leave any open food anywhere - we had an open granola bar the ants were devouring.

2 comments:

Megan Kuemmerlin said...

yuck! Did Beckham or Ainsley see them? I bet Beckham would have loved them, Ainsley not so much :)

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.