Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lettuce Wrap Recipe

A friend of mine got me the book Eating for Life which has a bunch of healthy recipes in it. Tonight I made Lettuce Wraps and they were so good and so easy. To top it off they are healthy too!! I thought I would pass along the recipe in case you are looking for something new to try. I did make some variations since I didn't have all the ingredients. I post the real recipe first and at the bottom I'll let you know what I substituted.

Serves:4
Prep time: 30 min

Ingredients:
4 shiitake mushrooms
7 stalks of napa cabbage
1 lb of LEAN turkey meat (not all turkey meat is lean)
1/2 onion, chopped
2 TBSP hoisin
1 TBSP lite soy sauce
1/4 tsp five-spice powder
1 (8 oz) can of water chestnuts, drained (rough chop if desired)
12 large iceberg lettuce leaves

1. Remove and discard stems of mushrooms and chop. Then chop the napa cabbage keeping the leaves and stems separate
2. Lightly coat a wok or skillet with cooking spray and place over med-high heat. Add turkey and cook until no longer pink. Remove turkey and set aside
3. Lightly recoat wok with cooking spray. Add chopped cabbage stems and onion, stir fry until tender about 2 min
4. stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and 5 spice. Add cabbage leaves, mushrooms and water chestnuts, stir fry for 1 min. Add cooked turkey and cook until it's heated through about 2 min
5. serve on iceberg lettuce leaves

OK here's what I changed: I didn't have shiitake mushrooms so I used 6-8 button mushrooms, I didn't have nappa cabbage so I used cabbage from a cole slaw mix bag and 1 celery stalk (I figured the celery stalk would give about the same texture as the stalk to the napa cabbage), I replaced the hoisin sauce with oyster sauce.

I'm sure it is just as good (probably better) if you make it the way the recipe is written but the way I made it turned out good too!

1 comment:

60 toes said...

Yum, we were just talking about making lettuce wraps. Thanks, I will try them soon.